Floors Makerstoun Nenthorn & Smailholm Community Council
Meeting held at Makerstoun Village Hall on Tuesday 20th January 2015
1. Chairman J Shanks welcomed those present: I Malcolm (Vice Chairman), J Freshwater (Secretary), A Easson (Treasurer), J Duncan (Minutes Secretary), C Hurran, Councillor T Weatherstone, Lord Biddulph, K Douglas and 9 members of the public.
Apologies: M Laidlaw, Lady Biddulph.
2. The Minutes of the previous meeting held on 16th September 2014 were approved by J Freshwater and seconded by I Malcolm.
3. Matters Arising:
SBCCN Meeting; This had taken place on 13th November 2014 and was attended by J Freshwater. She had e mailed the minutes out to all members and reported that Community Councils were now required to have their own website for members of the public to access. A volunteer was asked for who was able to set this up. When no one was forthcoming Councillor Weatherstone suggested that we could link on to Kelso Community Council site. This possibility was to be pursued. There was a Netbook Handbook available which could be found on www.sbccn.org.uk
Nenthorn Wreath: There had been some controversy over the Poppy Wreath provided by the Council and laid at the Nenthorn War Memorial by Kelso Country Churches to commemorate the hundredth anniversary of the First World War. This wreath had since disappeared. Several members of the public gave their views on the matter, but, as no conclusion could be drawn, Chairman Shanks moved the meeting on.
4. As Jane Cox and Simon Moore had moved away, we now needed to fill the 2 vacancies. It was decided to advertise for nominations and to fill the posts at the AGM on 14th April.
5. Resilient Communities: Project leader, M Laidlaw was not present. However, C Hurran reported that the leaflets were on their way out to the communities and she had approached Roxburgh Estates office before handing leaflets out in the Floors area . The office were in favour of Resilient Communities.
Everyone was encouraged to join up for SB Alert which would send out advice and warnings by e mail regarding bad weather, emergencies, crimes, etc . Details on www.sbalert.co.uk
6. Planning: Website
- Newton Don – stable was falling down, permission sought to make this into two houses- no objection.
- House at Makerstoun – small extension – no objection
7. Police Report: Suzanne Howgego was unable to attend but sent her report.
- The only incidents in the area were a male charged for driving with no insurance or MOT and a minor accident between 2 vehicles near Smailholm.
8. Finance Report: A Easson had nothing to report as signatures had not yet been
transferred over by the bank from the previous treasurer.
Scottish Borders Land Use Pilot - Derek Robson was to chair four meetings throughout the Borders for anyone with an interest.
Business Waste – SBC wish to improve this service, making it fairer for all, and are asking local businesses to complete a survey regarding this. Kelso Recycling Centre would be open by April 2015.
Borders Railway Opportunities - Local business people are being invited to a meeting to hear about business opportunities connected to the Borders Railway when it opens on 6th September. The meeting will be held at SBC Headquarters on Friday 23rd January.
Police Scotland - Nominated Neighbour Scheme. This is being set up in Kelso and district and would involve vulnerable people nominating someone nearby to deal with unexpected callers .Posters detailing the scheme will be posted on village notice boards. Further information from Suzanne Howgego or Tel. 101.
Budget Meeting to be held in Council Chambers – J Shanks and J Freshwater to attend
Cheviot area meeting - to be held on 4th February in Tait Hall, Kelso. J Shanks and J Freshwater to attend.
SCC Network Meeting – J Freshwater to attend on 18th February
10. A.O.C.B: I Malcolm reported that Smailholm had been awarded a grant for their footpath and were awaiting the monies being paid out.
I Malcolm also made comment about gritting in the Smailholm area not always done early enough for commuters.
There being no other business, J Shanks thanked everyone for their attendance and closed the meeting.
Date of next meeting: 14th April 2015 Terrace Restaurant(AGM)